31/10, UPDATED INFO VIA: Athens Transport – Μέσα Μαζικής Μεταφοράς της Αθήνας
* The old (paper) tickets will be valid until the 6th of November
* From the 6th of November you will also be able to buy one way tickets (1,40 euros), valid for 90′ minutes
* The Monthly Card holders of October will be able to use them until the 10th of November.
Text & photos via: www.athenstransport.com
Athens Transport e-Tickets and e-Cards
- During 2017 the Athens transport ticket system transitions from paper tickets to modern electronic tickets.
- With the new system, the paper tickets which were in use until today are being replaced by paper and plastic smartcards (similar to London’s Oyster cards). Riders of the metro system have to go through turnstiles which have been installed in all stations.
- This page was updated with information about the new system in October 2017. In the following weeks there will be extra information and improvement of the content.
1. What are the different types of tickets and card for Athens public transport?
From 2017 a new electronic ticketing system is being introduced for the Athens public transport network, replacing the older paper tickets and cards.
Fare prices will remain the same for now, however, the way you pay and use the tickets changes.
There are 3 new types of Athens Transport tickets:
- The Ath.ena Ticket
- The personalized Ath.ena Card
- The anonymous Ath.ena Card
The Ath.ena Ticket at a glance:
- Paper rechargeable ticket that can be used again and again as long as it remains in good condition.
- Ath.ena Ticket can be charged and recharged with products varying from “One 90-minute ticket for all modes” to 5-day tickets.
- Airport transfer tickets and 3-day tourist tickets are available as well.
- When a new Ath.ena Ticket is bought, it has to be charged with a bundle of five 90-minute tickets for all modes, or any other ticket product costing at least €4.5.
- Ath.ena Ticket can be bought from and recharged at all Athens transport ticket offices as well as automatic ticket issuing machines.
- Half-priced Ath.ena Tickets are available but only from Athens transport ticket offices.
The anonymous Ath.ena Card at a glance:
Plastic rechargeable card that can be used again and again.
The anonymous Ath.ena Card can be charged and recharged with products varying from “One 90-minute ticket for all modes to 5-day tickets.
Airport transfer tickets and 3-day tourist tickets available as well.
When a new anonymous Ath.ena Card is bought, it has to be charged with a bundle of five 90-minute tickets for all modes, or any other ticket product costing at least €4.5.
The anonymous Ath.ena Card can be bought only from Athens Transport ticket offices. It can be recharged at the Athens Transport Ticket offices as well as the automatic ticket issuing machines.
There are no half-priced ticket products available through the anonymous Ath.ena Card.
All of the above types of tickets:
- Can be bought regardless of when they are going to be used. Any ticket product is valid with the first “touch in” of the card.
- Ticket products that aren’t used remain indefinitely inside the Ath.ena Card or Ath.ena Ticketand can be used in the future as long as the ticket or card remains in a good condition.
- All types of tickets can’t be bought online at the moment. However, personalized Ath.ena Cardscan be charged and recharged online.
Read More about:…
2. What ticket products can I charge my Ath.ena Ticket or Ath.ena Card with?
short term & long term tickets/excluding/including the Athens airport
3. What kind of ticket do I need to travel from/to the Athens airport?
4. I’m flying to Athens for a few days. Any advice on which ticket I should use?
5. Who can use a Reduced Ticket or travel Free of Charge?
6. How and where can I buy and recharge an Ath.ena Ticket?
7. How and where can I buy an anonymous Ath.ena Card?
8. How and where can I buy a personalized Ath.ena Card?
9. How do I use an Ath.ena Ticket or Ath.ena Card?
10. How about Athens Suburban Railway and other Railway tickets?
and a lot more at: https://www.athenstransport.com/english/tickets/